Cross border relationships

If you are travelling abroad or going abroad to live, beware: don’t fall in love unless you have a solid job. Don’t let chance or luck fool you – you will rue the consequences, my friend. You need an income of at least £18,600 to be allowed to bring your foreign (non-EU) spouse to live in the UK. If you have kids, you’ll need around another £2000 per child.

The Bard of Glastonbury is among those affected – he has an American wife (what was he thinking?).

Don’t say you haven’t been warned.

Tradition must stay at any cost

This week’s news: on Mars, Shane Warne is elected President. Meanwhile, here on planet Earth, UK politicians decided not to take up a suggestion that could save the taxpayer £80,000 a year. They decided to continue the age-old tradition of recording legislation on vellum (calfskin parchment). So I’ve written a song about it….

Europe’s always on my mind

What with the EU referendum possibly coming up this year and the whole debate on EU membership a constant background hiss, I have realised that what we need to create a sense of European unity is a good old anthem to stir the emotions. A few years ago I wrote a version of what I hoped in time would replace “Ode to Joy” – but obviously not enough people got to hear it in those pre-online music days . Never mind – here is my anthem, in eleven languages. Sing along with it and see if you can get your fellow citizens to join in with you.

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.